Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Required College Courses

While I was reading through all the essays in chapter nine of The Prentice Hall Reader, I found the story about college courses the most interesting. Why should students take so many required courses that do not have anything to do with their career? I agree that it would lower the cost of college and it could even make you better at what you want to do.

Even though I agree completely with everything in the essay, I can't help but think, "Well, maybe after I get my degree I will realize why I needed to take that course." I will go to school to get my associates degree in Dental Assisting and I really do not understand why I need to take a writing class. I do know that there is a lot of paperwork associated with the dental field, but it is as simple as writing down what has been done at the appointment. I don't understand why I need to know how to write essays to be a dental assistant; it just doesn't make sense to me.

I am hoping that after I graduate from college and get a job I will realize why I needed to take a writing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment